Saturday, August 10, 2019

FUJIYA Tenugui (hand towel) Shop - Art/Encyclopedia


Several years ago, somewhere (I suspect perhaps on Yoshida Rui's Sakaba Hourouki TV show) I saw a design on a hand towel that seemed to symbolize the kind of privacy issues I was exploring in my Tachinomiya/noren project. With some research on the internet I was able to get limited information on the image and the shop where the hand towel was made. My visit there was a highlight of my recent Tokyo trip. I was able to meet the current owner (third generation) of the 74 year old shop. He gave me access to a couple of articles and a book with more specific information on the image. And I could purchase the hand towel as well. I am not sure how or if the image will be used in my research but the owner agreed to let me use it for academic purposes. So I want to give full credit to the shop that is full of wonderful art and serves as an "encyclopedia" of hand towel designs from the Edo period. And I recommend a visit to this charming and friendly place.

Address: 2 Chome-2-15 Asakusa, Taito City, Tokyo 111-0032
Phone: 03-3841-2283
https://www.instagram.com/tenuguifujiya/
Open 10:00-18:00, closed on Thursday


The image is that of a young man poking his head through a stage curtain. The young man is a character in a play by Santou Kyouden, "The Edo-Born Adulterous Vendor of Grilled Eels." Santou Kyouden was a noted poet, writer and artist from the Edo period.



No comments: