Sunday, May 30, 2010

Looking for Japan in Germany... and Re-Thinking Orientalism

There certainly seems to be a lot of Japanese influence in Frankfurt. Here is some live sushi all you can eat... I found a sushi shop in the Frankfurt train station yesterday run by a Korean woman (who at least seemed to understand Japanese...). Actually I have been hard-pressed to find "German" food. Lots of kebab, halal and African cuisine, at least in the area close to my flat. Last night the anthro grad students gathered at an Ethiopian restaurant. My flatmate commented for "real German food" I would have to go to Bavaria...

The kinds of pictures I am taking here in Germany are very different from those I take in Japan. Despite living in Japan for almost 13 years now, I am beginning to think that I am (still) an orientalist... I am also appreciating the plight of my exchange students when they first come to Japan. All the seemingly easy advice I give them is actually not so easy. I tell my students to "get lost" and "just jump on a train and see where it takes you." I did just that today... in the rain. I was able to find my way back to my flat and gain some insight into the difficulties of adapting to a new culture. And perhaps a little insight into Frankfurt as well. Stay tuned...

No comments: