Friday, July 7, 2023

VAoJ S2023RT Arc: Sometimes a short diversion helps to put research matters into different contexts - Yokohama Bay Cruise (6/26/23)

This was my second trip to Yokohama. The first in 2019 was only an afternoon in Chinatown. This time I thought exploring the bay area would be good. But the 10-minute water bus trip to nowhere didn't do much for me. The Akarenga area where I was left off didn't have much except two old brown-brick buildings now filled with craft/souvenir shops and over-priced, poor quality food shops. I asked a some people (including a wandering police officer) a few questions: Is there anything interesting around here? ("No.") Is Yamashita Park or Chinatown close by? ("No.") Is there a train station close by? ("No.") Where can I catch a taxi? ("...".)

It was hot. But there were benches and a nice, small breeze from the bay. Upon further investigation, I found out that the pier was host to a large cruise ship and that the next cruise would be in three hours. The water was still calling me. So I waited by going to one of those over-priced shops, drinking a weak lemon chu-hai and eating the worst chijimi I have ever had. Finally, I bought my ticket (and paid a little extra for a real drink) and got on board for a 90-minute early evening cruise around the bay. It was pleasant and relaxing.

Afterwards I was again left off at the Akarenga Pier. I was able to get a taxi and asked the driver where he thought I should go - Yamashita Park or Chinatown. The driver said that the only interesting thing at the park was a giant Gundam robot. So I went to Chinatown, as you will see in the next post... (I will have to save Gundam and the Anpanman Museum for the next trip...)
BONUS VIDEO (CAUTION - RAW VIDEO):


No comments: