Saturday, August 8, 2026

"Old-Fashioned Sake Bar" Orihara Shoten - Monzen Nakacho ・「伝統的でありながらモダン角打ち」折原商店 - 門前仲町

Orihara Shoten is a liquor shop and a "standing drink bar" usually known as 立ち呑み屋 (tachinomiya). This shop many shelves with various kinds of alcohol and refrigerators filled with cold bottles of 日本酒 (nihonshu) - there is a lot to choose from! They sell bottles and single drinks as well. This kind of shop is known as a 角打ち (kakuuchi); it does not have a license to be a restaurant but can still sell drinks and simple snacks. It is standing room only - there is no seating available.

Orihara Shoten's roots go back to 1924 in Ikebukuro, but the shop in Monzen Nakacho opened in 2011 as a part of its "second foundation." It has the traditional vibes (matching the 下町 [shitamachi] atmoshpere, or old, nostalgic downtown of commoners), with all the modern conveniences (payments accepted in cash, credit cards and various digital wallet services). I like to stop in for a few quick drinks and snacks (usually before I take the shinkansen back home to Osaka) and always manage to have interesting conversations with the staff and customers. The also sell a variety of old-fashioned 駄菓子 (dagashi), inexpensive candies and snacks for children (so I can buy a few last minute omiyage/treats for my daughter).

It is also a great place to take photos (I asked for permission). You can see what I shot on my recent fiedtrip to Tokyo. There are also a few links at the end of the post for information about and access to the shop, and how it was featured in a popular 飯テロ (meshi tero) TV drama.
Orihara Shoten website: https://www.orihara-net.co.jp/oriharashoten/

Orihara Shoten - Monzen Nakacho access ・ 折原商店 - 門前仲町 アクセス (source: https://www.orihara-net.co.jp/oriharashoten/shop/)
Orihara Shoten featured on ワカコ酒 (Wakako Sake), Season 3, Episode 9 (TV Tokyo, 6/2/18): https://www.bs-tvtokyo.co.jp/wakako_zake3/story/index.html?story=s_09
Story about Orihara Shoten featured on ワカコ酒: https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/plus/drama/entry/2017/016147.html

No comments: