Monday, January 1, 2024

Here's to a better 2024...

I arrived at Ubusuna Jinja shortly after midnight. On my way I could smell the smoke from the two blazing barrel fires at the shrine. The rain had stopped, but the wind was still strong. Because of the weather, not many people ventured to the shrine at midnight like in previous years. Except for the shrine elders, none of my neighborhood friends were there. I dropped off last year's ofuda from the house and my office. I was eager to rid myself of anything from 2023.
The line to offer New Year's prayers was short. When it was my turn, I climbed the steps, threw some money in the offering box, rang the bell, bowed, clapped twice and prayed. I prayed for world peace and health and prosperity for my friends and family. And I prayed and pleaded for my own health, and for a better 2024. Please. A better 2024. 2023 was awful. Yes, Hanshin won the Japan Series. But that was the only good thing to happen. A better 2024. Please.
After my prayer I accepted the omiki (sacred sake) and chatted with two of the shrine elders. Then I wandered around and took a few photos. I decided to wait for a while, with hopes that some of my friends might come.
The fires were warm and comforting, the flames crackling as they consumed the very dry wood that was fed to them. It started to rain again, and the wind got stronger. Bursts of wind caused the flames to jump and emit sparks as far as four meters away.
An older woman approached me and asked in Japanese, "Is this your first time here?"

"No. I have lived in this neighborhood for over 20 years. I come here every year."

Her family approached and asked the woman if she was speaking to the foreigner in English. She told them, no, he can speak Japanese, Kansai-ben. They laughed and went to take selfies in front of the shrine.
My friends weren't coming. I decided it was time to leave. I went home and finished the Yoshida Rui New Year's Special.

A better 2024. Or how about a great 2024?

Happy New Year from「VAoJ」. 今年もよろしくお願いします.

No comments: