Thursday, July 11, 2019

How to create your own personal bubble of oblivion -or- private space in a public setting


I don't usually take photos on the train but I couldn't resist last night when I saw this isolated soul wearing a personal mini-fan unit (one fan on each side connected by a neck wrap-around), surgical mask and bluetooth earbuds absorbed in a video game on his smartphone, oblivious to the world around him. I am well aware that there is an expected privacy in public in Japan especially when it comes to photography. I quickly snapped the photo and looked around to see if anybody heard the shutter sound. Everyone was wearing earphones so I got away with it... At least the guy wasn't sitting in a priority seat. All too often we see people sitting in such seats oblivious to disabled people, elderly people or pregnant women who actually need the seats...

No comments: