Thursday, December 16, 2010

Another Three-Frame Story: Protecting the Privacy of a Snack Mama


Another attempt at the three frame story format... Not so long ago a good friend brought me to one of his favorite "snacks." A "snack" in Japan refers to a small bar usually run by an older "mama-san" where one pays not only for the drinks and food but for the conversation and care of the mama. This particular snack seemed to attract an older crowd who liked to sing enka karaoke. I very much enjoyed the setting and asked if I could take photographs. The mama was incredibly shy when it came to pictures and immediately declined.


But then in the blink of an eye she grabbed some disguises - which seemed to be props for karaoke performances - and granted me permission. I think the wishes of both subject and visual anthropologist were met here...


This is the night-life in Osaka, Japan...

No comments: